June 22, 2020-Today is an exciting day; I’m pleased to announce that Pandamonium Publishing House will be starting an International Virtual Book Club! We’ll be reading books by authors from six of seven continents (If anyone knows of an Antarctic author, please email me, and we’ll add it to the list), starting with South America. We hope to help expand our reading diversity, and we hope to read titles that you have yet to explore.
Here’s how it works:
- We announce the book on the last Monday of each month. This month’s read is The Alchemist by Brazilian author Paulo Coelho.
- Each Friday, we do a virtual check-in on Facebook Live to talk about the book so far and what our observations and thoughts are, and we take comments and questions from readers. You can send us your comments/questions via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by joining our Facebook Live event.
- All you have to do is download or purchase your copy of the book from your favourite bookstore or app to participate and follow us on social media!
- Each book has an allotted completion date of approximately one month.
- Stay updated by subscribing to our blog, podcast, and newsletter at email@example.com. Send us an email, and we’ll add you to our list!
That’s it! Easy peasy! I’m excited to converse with you about our upcoming book choices, talk about the messages within the books, and chat about the authors and where they’re from. I hope you’ll join me! X LLB
March 23, 2020– With everything that’s going on in the world right now, it’s normal to feel as if we’re getting a bit (or more than a bit) stir crazy. Social distancing is imperative at this time, and so is working from home if your position allows you to do so. I just want to say a huge thank you to all of the professionals who are still going to work because they provide essential services, we appreciate you and are thinking of you! If your an author who can work from home, here are some things you can work on to help serve your readers in new ways:
- Do a virtual book launch. If you have a new book coming out, but social distancing has closed down pubs, libraries, and meeting places where you’d like to have your gathering, don’t worry! You can hold your book launch online. Things like Facebook live and other online platforms have made it much easier to connect with readers.
- Do an online book signing. During this time, you may not be able to head into Indigo for your regular book signing date, but you CAN do a virtual book signing from the comfort of your own home. Set up a viewing party and invite readers to tune in at a specific time to get the party started. You can even take their questions, live, depending on the platform you use.
- Hold a contest. Make things fun for your readers during this time of self-isolation. Do a scavenger hunt using one of your books, or have a colouring contest for younger readers. Whatever you do, make it entertaining and exciting.
There are so many things that are made possible by technology. Let’s be creative during this period of solitude so that we can continue to connect with and enjoy the company of others. X LLB