June 15, 2021-A huge thank you to everyone who took the time to wish me a Happy Birthday yesterday! I’m so thankful for each one of you. On the subject of thankfulness, we’re continuing our theme of author mindset this month, and it would be a shame to leave out something that will change your *ENTIRE* life; we’re talking about gratitude! Did you know that gratitude is one of the most important mindsets of all when it comes to being successful as an author?
Yesterday while enjoying my coffee, I decided to peruse the bookstore. It’s one of my favourite things to do, and I always said I could never work there because it would ruin the magic for me! It’s one of my happy places. As I was browsing, I came across a beautiful aquamarine journal with The Gratitude Journal scrolled beautifully on the front in white writing.
I picked it up and decided to purchase it for myself as a gift from me to me. The pages are divided into sections:
- Highlight of my day. This is where you would list the best thing that happened during your day! I wrote, time spent with my niece and nephews at the park while eating ice cream.
- Today I am grateful for. In this section, you write down what you’re grateful for. You can put down three things. I wrote a fantastic note from our client who says that he’s so happy with what we’re doing in his marketing plan. I added I’m so grateful for my team and the opportunity to work with such a talented group of individuals on the same page.
- Express joy. This section is where you can draw an image, doodle, or word that helps you express joy. I wrote, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
- Something I’m looking forward to tomorrow. Here is where you write down your hope for the next day. I wrote, getting back to work, spending time reading, and walking Luna.
Gratitude for what we have in our lives reminds us of how fortunate we are and places a spotlight on the many people, experiences, and things we have to be thankful for. Working and communicating from a place of gratitude is powerful and life-changing. When we focus on what we want, we get more of it. Careful! Because it works the other way too! When your author mindset is gratitude, thankfulness, appreciation, and happiness, you begin to unlock doors, and great things start to happen. Even if you’re in the worst mood or things aren’t going your way, or you’re having a challenging day, focusing on gratitude will change that. You’ll start to feel better in no time!
As an author, try this exercise:
- What are you grateful for in your writing life?
- Who are you grateful for in your writing life?
- What are you looking forward to celebrating in your writing life?
- What are you grateful for that your writing lets you experience?
Focus on the good things that are happening for you as an author. You’ll find that you have so much to be grateful for.
October 9, 2020– As Canadians, we celebrate Thanksgiving this weekend. I certainly have a lot to be thankful for, and as I reflect on how fortunate I am, I hope you will do the same with your own introspection. Please remember, some people won’t be surrounded by their families at Thanksgiving; some will be missing from tables because they’re no longer with us, others won’t be present because of familial tensions, and some can’t be in attendance because of obligations at work. Others will be alone because they have no family or close friends. Remember those who are less fortunate and those who are struggling. Don’t just remember them, though; I urge you to spread kindness this weekend and always, to make a difference in the life of one person. All it takes is one small act by each of us to change things for the better.
I’m grateful for the nights that turned into mornings, the friends that turned into family, and for dreams that turned into reality. I’m grateful for my team, for my health and for being able to do what I love every day. I’m grateful for the people that love and support me and for those who push me to be better. I’m grateful for the unconditional love of my pets and for my wonderful nephews and niece. And I am so grateful for each one of you.
From all of us at Pandamonium Publishing House, we’d like to wish you and yours a very safe and happy Thanksgiving. X LLB
April 19, 2019– About a year ago I read this wonderful little book called F**k It, Do What You Love by John C. Parkin. The basic overview of this book is to take a risk, take a leap, do what you love, and it will all work out. There are some things that I really liked about this book and other things that I didn’t, just as in any other book I’ve ever read. Let’s focus on one really cool exercise that the book gives as homework.
Ask yourself the following questions and write down your answers in a journal…ready?
- What do you love doing? (We aren’t just talking career here, we’re talking EVERYTHING you love to do)
- What did you used to love doing? (Childhood memories or anything in the past that pops into your mind)
- What can you imagine loving to do in the future? (Completely new stuff that you have yet to experience)
What do you notice about your answers? When I did this exercise I noticed that my answers to the first question came very quickly and the list was long! I also noticed that I get to do a lot of things that I love each and every day and for that, I am so grateful. The whole point of the above exercise is to figure out what you love doing and do more of it. For the author of the book, he quit his job, moved to a different country, wrote a book (this one), and started teaching. If we aren’t clear on what we want, how can we ever achieve it? There are many other exercises in this book and it’s definitely worth reading!
August 5, 2017-I’m excited to let everyone know that Deer Diary is COMPLETE! A huge, very special thank you, to Shamayal Hayat, illustrator extraordinaire. She is crazy talented and never missed a deadline, for that, I am so grateful.
Look for Deer Diary in a book store near you, on October 1st, 2017. The book will sell for $12 CAD/US and a portion of the proceeds will be donated to protecting and conserving wildlife. The causes we support include the World Wildlife Fund, the Canadian Wildlife Federation, and the American Wildlife Foundation. I’ll also have limited edition finger puppets of all of the characters from the book! Collect them all!