January 27, 2021– You can’t expect to be a best selling author if you don’t make time to read each day. It’s just not going to happen. Lack of reading leads to lack of writing skills, plain and simple, but let’s back up for a second-sometimes authors tell me that they don’t read because they don’t want their work to be influenced. Puh-leese, get over yourself (insert eye roll here) this is such a flawed way of thinking and the height of arrogance and ignorance. Here’s how reading makes you a better writer:
- Other Styles- Reading exposes us to other styles of writing. We may read a flowery prose or a stunning haiku that will make an impact on us and our future writing without even realizing where the inspiration came from until years later.
- Other Voices-When we read, not only do we get to experience other types of narrative, but we also get to enjoy a myriad of author voices. This allows us to develop our own sense of voice, and experiment with different narratives that maybe we wouldn’t have done if we hadn’t read any books.
- Other Forms-Reading lets us see different types of formatting, style, stylistic elements of speech, how paragraphs are formed, what’s old, what’s new, and what stands the test of time.
- Other Genres- When we read other genres of writing that are different than our own, we expand our creativity and improve our work. If you usually write romance, pick up a psych thriller or a mystery. If you usually write thrillers, pick up a cozy romance or a non-fiction biography. Anything outside of your scope is excellent for creating new ideas and can help your writing improve immensely.
- Other Emotions- Reading creates deep connections to our own experiences and emotions. It lets us know that we are not alone when we read about characters facing the same challenges that we have. Reading makes us better writers and a better communicators.
Stephen King said it best when he said, ” If you don’t have time to read, you don’t have the time or the tools to write. Simple as that.” If you have reading goals, we’d love to help you reach them! Check out our Pandamonium Publishing House International Book Club or our Subscription Book Box: Book Box! Yearly Membership (1 Book Box/month for 12 months) – Pandamonium Publishing House