August 10, 2018- What is your definition of being a successful author? This is the question that I ALWAYS ask the authors that I work with; whether self-published or traditional, it’s important to be able to answer this!
You are the only one who can define success and everyone’s definition and idea of success is different. Here are some answers I’ve received over the years after posing the question:
- If I sell $1 million dollars worth of books
- If kids read my book in their school
- If I have a huge house, and an in-ground pool, and a convertible
- If people line up to see me at book signings
- If I become famous around the world
- If someone tells me I’m their favourite author
- If my book helps one person
- If a celebrity reads my book and gives me a shout out on social media
- If I’m a bestseller on the NY Times list
- If I get a tv interview
- If my book gets turned into a movie
So, as you can see, there are a lot of DIFFERENT versions of success and it’s all dependent on how you choose to define it! Write down your version of success and start working towards that goal. There are no wrong answers! Remember, you can’t hit a target that you can’t see. Here’s to your success, whatever that may be.